Jewellery makes a perfect gift, whether it’s for Christmas, a birthday or some other special occasion. But we often get people coming into the shop, completely stressed, as they just don’t know where to start!
So, we’ve put together a list of the things you need to think about and, probably more importantly, how to go about getting the answers.
Things to consider when buying a jewellery gift
1. What is their jewellery style?
Imagine the person you are buying for and think about what style of jewellery they wear most often. Do they go for bold, statement pieces or do they prefer delicate, timeless jewellery?
2. What type of jewellery do they wear?
Have a think about whether the person always wears rings, necklaces, bracelets or earrings. Do they only ever wear long necklaces or stud earrings? Do they always wear matching sets but hate wearing watches?
This will help you work out what jewellery to focus on. Of course, you could decide that as they always wear bracelets, maybe a necklace would make a nice change!
3. What metal do they prefer?
What do they wear the most often – white, yellow or rose coloured metal? Don’t be surprised if they don’t have a preference, but do remember to check if they have any allergies. You don’t want to give them a rash along with your jewellery gift!
4. Do they prefer plain jewellery or pieces with gemstones?
Some people just love plain gold necklaces, while others love the added sparkle of a gemstone. If they tend to wear jewellery with gemstones, see if you can spot what colours they normally choose. Don’t worry if you don’t know the name of the stone, we will be able to work it out from your description. And if they wear a range of different gemstones, then why not choose a piece with their birthstone? If you’re not sure of their birthstone, take a look at our handy blog on birthstones.
5. When do they wear jewellery?
Some people only wear jewellery on special occasions, while others wear it every day. Knowing this will help you decide what type of jewellery to go for and also help you work out a budget.
How to get those all-important answers
So, now you know what questions you should be asking, here are our top tips on getting the answers:
- Next time you’re with them, take a look at the jewellery they’re wearing. Maybe comment on a piece and ask them if they have a favourite gemstone or a favourite colour.
- Look at photos on Facebook, Instagram etc and make a note of what jewellery they’re wearing.
- Look at the brands or images they like on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest. This will give you an idea about their tastes.
- Ask other friends or relatives to share their thoughts and photos.
Still nervous about buying a jewellery gift?
Don’t be! Just remember that giving a jewellery gift is always special, so no matter what you choose it will be appreciated.
And if you’re still unsure, why not give them one of our special gift vouchers and then come into our shop and choose something together. We would be more than happy to show you our various jewellery collections and help you find that something special.